Hi there,

I just tried looking from the other perspective: Why is it so difficult
to extract proper routes from the osm data and what has already been tried.

I just looked over the the issues and some first-sight information on
github and have seen that we're facing two different problems here:

The first thing is to find the proper coordinates of the routing
destination (job of Nominatim:
https://github.com/osm-search/Nominatim/issues/536  Open issue since
2016 - the statement by lonvia that nominatim didn't take any entrance
information into account seems to be outdated).

The other thing is to find the appropriate route once you have found the
proper coordinates, which can be complicated if access rules block the
most suitable way.

The solution of the second problem could be via the first point: just
only try routing to a suitable public access point to the destination -
then you can give coordinates where you can do a routing to.

For the first problem it is quite already solved as nominatim returns
the coordinates of a simple node with entrance=yes and an addr:
information.

You only would have to change the wiki page Key:entrance and encourage
people to allow single nodes with the tag entrance=yes and addr:xyz
(like this: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/10979019687) if it is not
obvious where the entrance to the property is. (What happened before for
the whole row of houses you still can see if you plan a route to "Am
Rehwinkel 19, Bielefeld" (from the point you are led to you don't see
any entrance nor the house due to a high hedge, and you sometimes see
people walking down the Voltmannstraße looking for entrances...
Difficult, because you would have to turn in "Am Rottmannshof" to get to
"Am Rehwinkel" ;-) )

Maybe an easy solution would be just to use the access-tags here
possibly introduce some additional tags for "entrance". In some
situations this would be a wider sense of "entrance" (in this examples
at any place there is a gate, but it works even without the mapping of a
gate and is still correct in the narrow sense). But even without an
distinct entrance it could be some kind of an entrance if you have to
leave your vehicle and enter an area of another transport mode like
walking.

Greetings,

Sebastian