On Apr 29, 2024, at 6:15 PM, Natfoot <natf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But if a trail, road, or cycle tract does not have route markers for use then
> no route=*  even if designated.
> -natfoot

I'm nodding my head so far at what I see here.  I appreciate Natfoot's reminder
about routes:  we're not exactly talking about routes here and now, though
there is some overlap that happens in people's minds with routes and
infrastructure, sometimes naming, so it's good to say these things out loud
once in a while so people understand we've had a lot of conversations about
these topics.  It's good to bubble it all back up and out again as we come to
agreement.  (Like here and now).

I agree "signposted" either implies or means (legally) "designated for that
mode-of-travel," in the colloquial usage of the word "designated" which my
dictionary matches here with "officially assigned a specified status."

I do a fair bit of bicycle routing:  bicycle=yes is not needed on
highway=cycleway, but could disambiguate whether bicycle traffic is allowed on
a parallel roadway, while bicycle=yes is not the same as bicycle=designated:
regardless of how you think you might route through here as a cyclist, the
bicycle=designated, for example, highway=cycleway means "signs, paint, law
indicate cyclists should or must use this infrastructure."  The bicycle=yes tag
means it is allowed, nothing more than that.