Henri Yandell wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Schnitzer, Jeff wrote:

From: Shawn Bayern [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Why not implement the empty keyword on all collections?  The method
isEmpty is available in the Collection interface.  Was there some

sort

of argument against that when the spec was defined?
I believe so; I don't remember the details of the debate, but I think
the

justification is that the EL doesn't deal with Collections in general
in

any other situation.
??  I'm pretty sure I can do a forEach across a Collection.

This seems entirely inane.  Would someone patch the Jakarta
implementation to allow the empty operator on Collection?  We don't use
specifications, we use software.

For Tomcat, I imagine the answer would be a flat no, but Jeff has a point
here. Standard Taglib isn't the RI anymore is it? Doesn't that come from
Sun?
For Tomcat, I imagine the answer would be a flat no, but Jeff has a point
here. Standard Taglib isn't the RI anymore is it? Doesn't that come from
Sun?
Correct. 'standard' is the basis for the RI shipped by Sun.

So can't Standard Taglib add patches like this that are natural and
right?
What is important to note is that 'standard' also ships as an
implementation of the JSTL specification. Because of this,
'standard' must therefore pass the TCK.

The change that Jeff is proposing, although of interest, would
unfortunately break compatibility with the spec.
(sorry guys, but the Expert Group ain't perfect)

Given that the EL is now moving from the JSTL spec to the
JSP spec, the best way to handle this would be for Jeff
to submit a comment to the JSP spec comments alias at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hope this helps,

    -- Pierre