Not surprised at that - a prior company I worked at, where I first learned Java, they had consultants and (i thought..) smart engineers working together to develop a quite large web application. The company folded a year later, and I moved on. It wasn't till after I got into jsp/servlets that I realized that they had horribly mangled the MVC.. namely they wrote the entire thing in a couple massive behemoth JSP page and not a single servlet in sight. I remember one particular .jsp being over 4000 lines.

I've since come to the conclusion that so-called consultants get their $150/hr jobs either by being experts, or by sheer incompetence. Which happens more often, I don't know. :)