It would allow page designers to write non-spec compliant JSTL.  Then if
they switch JSTL implementations their non-spec compliant uses of the empty
tag would break.  However, I'm still for changing the implemenation to
support empty on Collection.  It doesn't break backward compatibility and it
adds this new feature most users would assume was already there.