Kris Schneider wrote:
maya wrote:
again, thank you all very much.. as mentioned, I have Tomcat 5.0.27, which comes with the following (as specified in release-notes.txt that comes with it):

* commons-collections*.jar (Commons Collections 2.1 or later)
* commons-dbcp.jar (Commons DBCP 1.1 or later)
* commons-el.jar (Commons Expression Language 1.0)
* commons-logging-api.jar (Commons Logging API 1.0.3 or later)
* commons-pool.jar (Commons Pool 1.1 or later)
* jasper-compiler.jar (Jasper 2 Compiler)
* jasper-runtime.jar (Jasper 2 Runtime)
* jsp-api.jar (JSP 2.0 API)
* commons-el.jar (JSP 2.0 Expression Language)
* naming-common.jar (JNDI Context implementation)
* naming-factory.jar (JNDI object factories for J2EE ENC support)
* naming-resources.jar (JNDI DirContext implementations)
* servlet-api.jar (Servlet 2.4 API)

this means my EL expressions should evaluate, right?

Don't worry about that stuff, focus on your app. The first thing to do is to make sure you're using a Servlet 2.4 web.xml. It should look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
         version="2.4">

</web-app>

If you're using a Servlet 2.3 web.xml, then EL will be ignored by default.

thank you very much.. I put what you posted in my web.xml (in lieu of
what I had there previously (and what I have in all web.xml's in Tomcat), namely

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>

I put the code you posted in both the web.xml for the particular webapp
and in conf/web.xml..  but EL expressions are still not evaluating..
this is how a JSP with EL prints in the browser (IE & FF..)

    Request Method: ${pageContext.request.method}
    Request Protocol: ${pageContext.request.protocol}
    Context Path: ${pageContext.request.contextPath}
    Remote Host: ${pageContext.request.remoteHost}
    Secure: ${pageContext.request.secure}
    Cookies: ${c.name}: ${c.value}
    Headers: ${h.key}: ${value}

thanks again....