Set up a fresh install of the latest Tomcat on the side with the correct
web.xml entry, and put a test jsp page in it with a simple EL expression and
see if it evaluates.

  I have apache-tomcat-5.5.12

  and a different set of jar files under apache-tomcat-5.5.12\common\lib :

  commons-el.jar
jasper-compiler-jdt.jar
jasper-compiler.jar
jasper-runtime.jar
jsp-api.jar
jstl.jar
naming-factory-dbcp.jar
naming-factory.jar
naming-resources.jar
serializer.jar
servlet-api.jar
standard.jar
xalan.jar

maya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Kris Schneider wrote:
> maya wrote:
>> again, thank you all very much.. as mentioned, I have Tomcat 5.0.27,
>> which comes with the following (as specified in release-notes.txt that
>> comes with it):
>>
>> * commons-collections*.jar (Commons Collections 2.1 or later)
>> * commons-dbcp.jar (Commons DBCP 1.1 or later)
>> * commons-el.jar (Commons Expression Language 1.0)
>> * commons-logging-api.jar (Commons Logging API 1.0.3 or later)
>> * commons-pool.jar (Commons Pool 1.1 or later)
>> * jasper-compiler.jar (Jasper 2 Compiler)
>> * jasper-runtime.jar (Jasper 2 Runtime)
>> * jsp-api.jar (JSP 2.0 API)
>> * commons-el.jar (JSP 2.0 Expression Language)
>> * naming-common.jar (JNDI Context implementation)
>> * naming-factory.jar (JNDI object factories for J2EE ENC support)
>> * naming-resources.jar (JNDI DirContext implementations)
>> * servlet-api.jar (Servlet 2.4 API)
>>
>> this means my EL expressions should evaluate, right?
>
> Don't worry about that stuff, focus on your app. The first thing to do
> is to make sure you're using a Servlet 2.4 web.xml. It should look
> something like this:
>

> > xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
> xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
> version="2.4">

> If you're using a Servlet 2.3 web.xml, then EL will be ignored by default.

thank you very much.. I put what you posted in my web.xml (in lieu of
what I had there previously (and what I have in all web.xml's in
Tomcat), namely

"http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

I put the code you posted in both the web.xml for the particular webapp
and in conf/web.xml.. but EL expressions are still not evaluating..
this is how a JSP with EL prints in the browser (IE & FF..)

Request Method: ${pageContext.request.method}
Request Protocol: ${pageContext.request.protocol}
Context Path: ${pageContext.request.contextPath}
Remote Host: ${pageContext.request.remoteHost}
Secure: ${pageContext.request.secure}
Cookies: ${c.name}: ${c.value}
Headers: ${h.key}: ${value}

thanks again....