>From “The Cambridge Guide to Australian English Usage”

Page 713-714 https://books.google.com.au/books?id=FKpcDwAAQBAJ

Saint or St The conventions for writing saints' names depend on the context:

whether it's a reference to the saint himself or herself, or to an institution
or place

named after them.

  The names of saints are only prefaced by Saint in books which describe their

life and works. Incidental references to them in history books and encyclopedias

are usually abbreviated to St. In the indexes to religious books, saints' names
are entered

alphabetically according to their given names, with Saint following:

  Thomas Aquinas, Saint

In other references St is used, Churches are identified this way: St Mary's
Cathedral,

St John's Church, as are other associated institutions: Brotherhood of St
Laurence, St

Vincent de Paul. Purely secular institutions such as the St George Building
Society

and the St Kilda Football Club naturally use the abbreviation.

It goes on but I can’t copy-paste from there so I had to type that, feel free
to read it at your leisure.

Michael