I object.
amenity=shelter I see as a man made object, some with better shelter than others. I think these should remain in the 'natural key space, possibly natural=overhang?

But then what do I know???

amenity=shelter has
shelter_type <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shelter_type>=rock_shelter - A rock shelter is a shallow cave-like opening at the base of a bluff or cliff

and that looks to fit perfectly!

I'd not tag them as camp sites, let people evaluate them and the surrounds themselves for camping rather than suggest a place.

On 01/04/19 08:39, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> when (how deep) does a rock overhang / shelter become an actual cave? :-)

Some judgement is needed, but the ones I've seen are pretty clear cut as being one or the other.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dshelter just says "A shelter <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelter_%28building%29> is small place to protect against bad weather conditions." which is mostly what these overhangs are used for, so I think it's the appropriate tag. If that shelter is frequently used as a camp site (now, not just historically) then can be tagged tourism=camp_site with a few extra tags from https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism=camp_site to help distinguish this small camp site from the larger ones.

Is "not meant for sleeping, no cooking or heating equipement inside" supposed to be a criteria for a shelter?

I would say no. We should tag the rock overhang for what it is, and use tourism=camp_site to say if it's commonly used for sleeping too.