Hi,

On 12.09.19 08:16, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> Within the Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area, NPWS says the
> only two things prohibited are Pets and
> Smoking,
> https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/illawarra-escarpment-state-conservation-area/visitor-info#Prohibited.
>
> Normally for most National Parks and SCA's you're allowed to walk
> anywhere unless otherwise prohibited.

The link you posted contains the following wording:

"Come for a serious bushwalk or a casual jog, visit a lookout in the
winter for whale watching off the coast, or break out the binoculars for
birdwatching. There are cycling opportunities on fire trails and plenty
of chances to cool off in summer by retreating to a rainforest track."

Would "serious bushwalk" be a term that NPWS could be using for walking
only along pre-established trails, or is this a clear invitation to walk
wherever you want?

> In my opinion paths signposted or otherwise for walking should be
> foot=designated to indicate there is signage saying this path is
> explicitly for walking.

That makes sense.

> Any path they want people not to use
> they'd need to put sinage and we'd tag as access=no

That too, though if they were to say "mountainbiking on designated paths
only", we might consider tagging all non-designated paths with
cycling=no - that's essentially the old question of whether defaults
should be tagged.

> and any other path
> with no sigage would be somewhere in the grey area between access=no and
> access=designated (which I always saw access=yes as that middle ground tag).

In my opinion a foot=yes, while not necessarily indicating that there is
a sign, is more than a grey-area assumption. It is an assurance given by
the mapper to others that "it is ok and legal to walk here", based
perhaps not on signage but on local rules and customs.

I would not use foot=yes for "well there is a path here and I've walked
along it but I'm not sure what would have happened had I met a ranger".

Bye
Frederik