Ah well I don't see much difference between =yes and =designated, but to
others there's a clear difference. 😊
Given the other responses it seems that =designated is the preference for
shared paths.

As for *"Visually it’s much easier to see a shared path rather than to
review the tags for permissions. "*
This is 'tagging for the renderer' which is discouraged. As mappers our aim
is to accurately map what's on the ground using legitimate sources of data,
and following agreed OSM conventions as much as possible.

Getting the right coloured dashed or dotted line on the map is someone
else's problem.
People produce special purpose maps with this in mind eg.

*OSM default*: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-38.07459/145.12193
*CycleOSM*:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-38.07459/145.12193&layers=Y *(Bicycle
routes emphasised)*