I was referring to working within OSM and seeing brown dotted vs blue dotted
lines for a path.
If you see a blue shared paths in OSM then you know that that bikes are allowed
by default , however if a footpath allows bicycles then you would need to see
the tags associated with it to know the permissions.
Hope that makes sense.

> On 5 Oct 2021, at 2:37 pm, Adam Horan <aho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Ah well I don't see much difference between =yes and =designated, but to
> others there's a clear difference. 😊
> Given the other responses it seems that =designated is the preference for
> shared paths.
>
> As for "Visually it’s much easier to see a shared path rather than to review
> the tags for permissions. "
> This is 'tagging for the renderer' which is discouraged. As mappers our aim
> is to accurately map what's on the ground using legitimate sources of data,
> and following agreed OSM conventions as much as possible.
>
> Getting the right coloured dashed or dotted line on the map is someone else's
> problem.
> People produce special purpose maps with this in mind eg.
>
> OSM default: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-38.07459/145.12193
> CycleOSM:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-38.07459/145.12193&layers=Y (Bicycle
> routes emphasised)
> Cycle Map:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-38.07459/145.12193&layers=C  (Bicycle
> routes emphasised)
> Transport Map:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-38.07459/145.12193&layers=T (Public
> transport emphasised)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam
>
>> On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 14:26, Sebastian Azagra Flores <s.aza...@me.com> wrote:
>> Hi Adam
>>
>> Interesting to see your thoughts below in relation to Victoria.
>>
>> My point all along has been bikes are not permitted on footy paths used
>> signed as allowed or should it be a shared path instead?
>>
>> In which case is there a preference in using footpath with the tags
>> highway=footway  + bicycles=yes as you have indicated below
>> or a should be be shared path where bikes=designated ?
>>
>> Visually it’s much easier to see a shared path rather than to review the
>> tags for permissions.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Sebastian

>>> Hi Kim,
>>> highway = pedestrian is for pedestrianised roads/areas rather then
>>> footpaths/sidewalks/pavements for those I think the current tag is
>>> highway=footway.
>>> bridleway isn't in use in Australia much for the path types we're
>>> discussing here.
>>>
>>> I'd prefer a normal footpath to be
>>> highway=footway - and no additional bicycle= or foot= tag, unless there's a
>>> sign specifically barring cycling in which case bicycle=no
>>>
>>> Shared paths (the most common ones after a walking only path)
>>> either
>>> highway=footway + bicycle=yes (I prefer this one)
>>> or