The last example (Cassugan Court) looks like like a driveway from the road, but someone has gone and gazetted a name and numbered the properties with it. Each property does have their own driveway branching off of it, though, so I'd say this looks like the most "driveway-ish" a road could be while still being highway=residential. If I came across this with a plain highway=service tag though, I'm not sure I'd correct it.

It might be easier to define a pipe stem/shared driveway by what it isn't: it isn't a through road, it isn't any narrow residential road, it isn't any "short" residential road, etc…

Dian

On 2022-03-16 11:17, Matthew Seale wrote:

So what then distinguishes highway=residential from a shared driveway in Sebastian's 3 examples?

* The first way 818426144 is an unnamed shared service road, so seems to neatly fit the pipestem example as explained. The addresses in this style of development are likely to be unit numbers, otherwise sharing a shared main road street addresss. * The second way 184844142 and the third way 429541974 are named roads that appear as named roads on the JOSM Vicmap road network layer. The addresses in these instances will most likely use that street name as their address, not the next main road they connect to. So these don't appear to neatly fit the concept of a shared driveway to my thinking.

Otherwise taken to it's extreme interpretation there would be a large number of highway=residential that, due to being in privately developed areas, could be change to pipestem. I don't think that is the intent.

Thoughts?

Matthew