I'm relatively agnostic as to which one tagging mechanism is used. I'd probably have a slight leaning to service=driveway for everything, and then have a lower level key. Yes, the wiki would need changing, but semantically, they are all driveways (shared or not).

Whether or not it is possible, it would probably be useful to change *=pipestem to a different tag (eg *=shared_driveway). Pipestem implies a narrower definition than shared driveway ("Pipestems are common in rural areas and planned suburban residential developments in the United States.").

The idea of the pipestem is a long driveway which other driveways hang off.

However, some of the examples Sebastian has raised - both residential and commercial - are definitely shared driveways, but I wouldn't describe them as pipestems as they don't actually have minor driveways.

cheers
Tom
----
Canyoning? try http://ozultimate.com/canyoning