On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 at 20:02, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/8/22 18:15, Josh Marshall wrote:
>
> tl;dr - I’m interested in getting more surfing-centric tagging into OSM,
> hopefully leading to an open surfing map. And want to check on what would
> be appropriate. In an analogous way to how cycling is treated, along with
> trail running, my own sports of choice.
>
> Hi, welcome.

Thanks! But I've been lurking and sporadically posting here for a long time
now. I see what goes on! But mainly stick to editing my local area and
anywhere I visit.

Mostly land based things. Can you give a few examples?

> I found this one,
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/1009395310
>
> looks to be both surfing sand swimming...

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing. And better yet, why aren't our
beaches, like the typical patrolled locations marked in such a way as that
swimming_area too? Scope creep, anyone? This gets me more engaged, because
I go to the beach plenty even if I don't surf myself. Starting to smell
like an Aussie wiki page on how to tag beaches and surf spots.

This is my local... I spend plenty of time here, even sometimes just parked
in my van and remote working. Perhaps I should do some mapping/tapping
based on what we discuss there, then bring it back for further chat?
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-32.92433/151.79302

Are there any concerns on me taking the idea and running with it? It would
> be good at least to flesh out the wiki page on what tags can or should be
> applied. I already have a spreadsheet from the grommie on the various
> attributes of a surf break (left and right waves, tide/swell/wind
> required). Does this require a formal proposal?
>
> There are those that say yes to a formal proposal, others nay.
>
> You may have noticed my Hills Hoist thing.. I raised it here to see what
> reaction I got and to seek ideas. I have now raised it on the tagging group
> for more of an international view and will raise it on the russian wiki
> page on the 'umbrella' tag.
>
> I would think you may get some feed back here to start with.. then raise
> it on the talk page
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:sport%3Dsurfing

Yep, your post on the Hills Hoist probably helped prompt me into this
idea... and I've added my own thoughts there. Hills Hoist mapathon, anyone?

I might try mapping just a handful of the local breaks to tease out some of
the nuance, then write up and post on the wiki talk page.

As the break would be a water feature I'd use a water tag
> waterway=surf_break ??? That could be a way where the break first occurs ..
> possibly sub tags such as break=left/right/* This would be the physical
> feature for use with sport=surfing...
>
> Just my idea.. you may have more/different?

That's exactly the sort of thing I was after. It is *visible* after all,
just a bit hard to explain, so a waterway=surf_break makes sense.

My own pause relates to how even though surf breaks are physical locations
> (would be mapped as either areas or points), they are tied to underwater
> features and topography such as reefs, not necessarily visible from the
> surface. And so will rely heavily on local knowledge. But if not rendered
> by default, there’s no problem with that, right?
>
> The surf break may be visible on some of the satellite imagery. Mapbox off
> Tamarama Beach, Sydney looks large.

Yep, noted as well. I checked the ones near me... some visible on aerial,
some not. Guessing it depends on conditions!