First of all : thanks all for sharing your thoughts and insight. I learned a
lot. I believe that this case, which as I discovered was already discussed
should be clarified and documented on the wiki, but that’s another story.

> While I don't mind disused:* and razed:* to keep these kinds of paths
> somewhere in the database, it is my impression from previous discussions that
> there is some consensus that paths that are really, really gone (there's a
> building on top; or there's a lot of fences or overgrowth; it doesn't
> re-appear from time to time) do not belong in OSM at all.

That’s also my understanding : generally speaking ghost or historic
(disappeared) objects don’t belong to OSM. The only exception I’m aware of are
old (removed) railways that can be mapped but it makes sense since the space
used by that railway is generally still visible.

> Then again, I've never seen anyone make a real effort to clean them out of
> the database.

I do. Each time I encounter a not existent path I contact the contributor and
generally end up deleting it.

> You say "He denied reverting the changeset, arguing that mapping those paths
> was a way to put pressure on the Commune and the owner in a discussion about
> the openness and accessibility of surrounding paths for the general public.
> He promised to delete the date once the case will be closed."
> I only see one changeset discussion, so I assume you discussed this in
> private messages? If you make a few changeset comments, maybe some other
> people can join the discussion there. Hopefully we can still change their
> mind about this; if not we'll need to revert some changes.

Yes, I contacted him privately. I kindly explained him (twice) that the
community was largely against such kind of (poor) mapping and that he had to
revert. I offered him help for his future edits (he’s novice as far as I can
tell). I’m waiting for his answer. I believe there is not much more time to
spend on this case which is pretty straightforward.

Matthieu