Thanks to Pieter for the link https://www.openhistoricalmap.org
=> It deserves more visibility/publicity I think, so as to improve the cleaning of the main OSM DB...

I'm contributing a lot to balnam too. I make use of it a lot, exactly to ensure or recover missing paths.
Most of the time (80-90%), balnam does the job well and quickly.
For the rest, I personally contact the local public authority. In the past, it was not efficient at all and quite discouraging... But now that slow/sweet mobility is more and more a public topic, I noticed that many local authorities changed their mind and quickly take actions when I warn them about some issue. => Just got several good results in Andenne (usually never responding) and Fernelmont (depending on the contact person).

My reactions to the user's comments:

*Comment 1*: Not valid, they try what they can, but they have nothing. The trick is just a question of communication and the way to address the point. Just got a serious case again on path 73 in Sclayn <https://www.balnam.be/sclayn/chemin/73>, but it's the last one of a long series, which allowed me to refine my approach. => Balnam is definitely the way to go, they indeed use also various maps, including federal ones that are no more accessible to us. Also, the local authorities have access to these maps, we still made use of them in Andenne in July.

*Comment 2*: The IGN failure is a distinct story. Sad for them, but not related to the topic. There are regulations, local authorities have to comply to them. I never and will probably never make use of IGN anymore, they're "dead" because they did not adapt to the modern reality. Even the military guys I met in the woods of Marche-les-Dames use OSM, more up to date... Again, nowadays local authorities eventually comply and react, much more than a few years ago. The best is to make use of this!

*Comment 3*: The user points himself exactly to balnam... Red lines are very visible, much more than a simple OSM map, and make a good support for the discussion with local authorities. Just for the demo, look at all the paths that were suppressed in the area of Groyenne <https://www.balnam.be/andenne/sentier/195>. The balnam layer makes it very clear...

The main point is that balnam is based on volunteers, it's not an official service. But here again, due to the recent changes I'm quite convinced that things are evolving in the good direction: more and more people use balnam, more and more local authorities face discussions on this, more and more people contribute to surveillance... The recent results I got were not possible a few years ago, now they are. At some point, there will be a public service to take over balnam... That's a good way to force a reaction. Once enough people are aware, public figures take care of the topic, and here it's very positive.

=> If the user wishes, he can contact me: fgerin on OSM, fge1 on balnam.

++