Hi all,

The wiki page is indeed looking a whole lot better right now - my thanks and congrats to everyone who contributed! There is a still a ways to go, but we seem to be getting there quickly.

I'll echo John in saying that I would appreciate hearing from some of the other people who chimed in to express their doubts about the import. For my part, I'm not satisfied yet - no surprise, I'm sure ;-). I'm thrilled that we're talking and working together in the open, and that addresses the biggest concern I had with the import.

These are the big issues I see remaining:

1. *Validation*: Ideally I'd like to see a good chunk (more than half) of the data that has been imported already validated by another user before we proceed with importing more data. Validation is part of the import plan, so the import isn't done until validation is done anyway. My hope is that this will flag any issues that we can fix before moving forward, and give people time to chime in on the import plan who maybe haven't already. I don't want to see everything imported and only then do we start systematically checking the quality of our work, if ever. If no one wants to do it now, no one is going to want to do it later either, and that doesn't bode well.

2. *Simplification*: James' analysis showed that simplification could save several hundred megabytes (and probably more) in Ontario alone. This is totally worth doing, but we have to document the process and be very careful not to lose valuable data. I believe there was also a concern raised about orthogonal buildings being not quite orthogonal - this is something that we should handle at the same time, again, very carefully. We certainly don't want to coerce every building into right angles. With respect to James, I'm not sure this is something that can be done with a few clicks in QGIS. I would be willing to develop a script to handle this, but it would take me about a week or two to find the time to do this properly. We would need to simultaneously A) simplify straight lines B) orthogonalize where possible and C) preserve topology between connected buildings. This is not impossible, it just takes time and care to do correctly.

3. *Speed and Size*: To John's point, it seems like people certainly are not sticking to the areas they know, unless they get around a whole hell of a lot more than I do, and yes this is a problem. The whole Toronto region was basically imported by two people: DannyMcD seems to have done the entire west side of the region (hundreds of square kilometers) while zzptichka imported the entire east side of the region (again a truly massive area), both in the matter of a week or two. They only stopped in the middle where there were more buildings already and things got a bit more difficult. The middle is where I live, and when I saw that wave of buildings coming, I sounded the alarms. This is way too fast - no one person should be able to import the GTA in a couple weeks. A big part of the problem, IMO is that the task squares are much too large, and allow/require a user to import huge areas at once. At the least, some of the task squares in central Toronto are impossibly large, including hundreds or thousands of buildings already mapped in OSM. Conflation on these, if done properly would take the better part of a day, and people are likely to get sloppy. I would like to see the task squares dramatically reduced in size as a way of slowing people down, helping them stick to areas they know well, and keeping them focused on data quality over quantity. This would also make the process much more accessible to local mappers who don't already have tons of experience importing.

4. *Conflation*: I don't think the current conflation plan is adequate(ly documented). In practice, what people are actually doing may be fine, but I really want to see some better thought on how to handle existing buildings. Right now the wiki says for example "/Before merging buildings data switch to OSM layer and see if there are any clusters of buildings without any meaningful tags you can delete to save time when merging/." With respect to whoever wrote this, this approach seems to value time over data integrity and I just don't think that's how OSM should operate. We need to be more careful with the existing data, and we need to show that care with clear and acceptable guidelines for handling the data that countless people have already spent their time contributing. We don't do OSM any favours by carelessly deleting and replacing data. Help convince me that this isn't what's happening.

Until some effort has been made to address these concerns, I will continue to oppose this import moving forward. And to be clear, I don't want to oppose this import - I have too much else I should be focusing on. I just don't want to see another shoddy import in Toronto (or elsewhere).

Best,

Nate Wessel
Jack of all trades, Master of Geography, PhD candidate in Urban Planning
NateWessel.com <http://natewessel.com>