I believe Andy makes an important point here. All accuracy is relative.

On a global scale the positional accuracy of BING or a GPS trace is going to
be perhaps 10m or more. More GPS traces does not necessarily improve the
accuracy in all cases because the shape of the terrain and existing features
can influence what part of the sky has satellites visible or effects the
reported position because of multi path effects.

At the local level if you use the same source (BING, GPS or something else)
on the same day to map a set of features you can be reasonably sure their
relative accuracy is better than 10m and with careful work could be as close
as 1m. At a later date you may take the view that globally the day of
editing was off a bit and adjust. This tends to degrade relative accuracy
unless we move all objects at the same time.

Anyway, the bottom line is that unless you are using survey grade
instrumentation the location of objects in OSM is never going to me much
better than the 10m globally referenced accuracy and could easily be worse
in places. But then who actually needs to know that one object is within 10m
of an object 100km away. It's just not that important. Relative accuracy is
of far greater interest in my opinion.

So, my suggestion is to ignore the apparent discrepancies between imagery
versions and GPS etc. Just pick one (perhaps the best one for our needs) and
work with that for your whole area. I, like the others here in Birmingham,
mostly use BING. I know it's off by a small amount (perhaps less than 5m
generally luckily as we are not so hilly, unlike The Lakes) but is by far
the most accurate resource for tracing.

As for Streetview, I would never trust wholeheartedly the work of others,
including the OS. They have had errors in their mapping ever since they
started more than 200 years ago and they are still correcting things as far
as I am aware against their current reference frame.

And of course the most important point is that if it's not in OSM then it's
of no benefit to anyone. So mapping objects, even poor quality mapping of
objects, is arguably much better than not mapping them at all.

Cheers
Andy