To: talk-gb Talk-GB <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
From: Adam Hoyle <adam.li...@dotankstudios.com>
Date: 25/01/2013 10:18AM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] PRoW surveying authorities (Was: Guidance for    adding
PRoW to OSM: prow_ref=)

On 24 Jan 2013, at 14:34, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

>Not entirely tangential question - Is there any chance that the designation
>tag will be rendered in the default mapnik anytime soon / ever? Or is there
>somewhere that already exists that >renders designations?

Yes - www.free-map.org.uk. (at least for southern and northern England and
Wales)

sad to say it doesn't appear to cover the chilterns - I think it might have
done a while ago, but not now :'(

On 24 Jan 2013, at 15:01, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:

Since the public rights of way tagging using designation=* is a very
British (actually English and Welsh) thing, I doubt it will ever be
rendered on the main OSM map. :-(

I'm sure you're probably correct, but are we sure designation doesn't apply
outside of the UK? I think it's worth pursuing - anyone know what the process
is to request it's added - it would add some much value to the UK map that I
really do think it's worth making the case to have it added.

However, depending on what you're interested in, there's a nice view
from ITO that highlights ways tagged with the main PRoW designation
tags:
http://www.itoworld.com/map/87#fullscreen

That's awesome, although depressingly it shows just how few I have actually
managed to tag with a designation :'(

Thanks all!

Adam