>Not entirely tangential question - Is there any chance that the designation
>tag will be rendered in the default mapnik anytime soon / ever? Or is there
>somewhere that already exists that >renders designations?

Yes - www.free-map.org.uk. (at least for southern and northern England and
Wales)

BTW my contribution to the whole ORPA debate is that we need it in designation
or similar, as I also believe highway should be the physical status.
Most ORPAS are highway=track or path, but that does not incorporate their
ORPA-ness.

Seeing as they are not signposted in the main (though W Sussex and the Lake
District NPA appear to sign them as "public way") I have used suspected=orpa in
the past.

Nick