>>>Not entirely tangential question - Is there any chance that the designation
>>>tag will be rendered in the default mapnik anytime soon / ever? >>Or is
>>>there somewhere that already exists that >renders designations?

>>Yes - www.free-map.org.uk. (at least for southern and northern England and
>>Wales)

>sad to say it doesn't appear to cover the chilterns - I think it might have
>done a while ago, but not now :'(

It covers most of the counties at:

http://download.geofabrik.de/openstreetmap/europe/great_britain/england/

plus Wales (all - easier to deal with being a more sparsely-populated area
hence less data)

It's just about impossible on my server to import the whole of England, let
alone the UK, into postgres using osm2pgsql, so I'm having to do it
county-by-county. Consequently I'm restricted to using (most of) the counties
on Geofabrik.

I could add Oxfordshire (available on geofabrik) to the coverage area, would
that help for your area?

I do have one or two possible offers of server space so there is the
possibility of extending Freemap back to the whole of the UK.

Nick