On 24 Jan 2013, at 14:34, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> >Not entirely tangential question - Is there any chance that the designation
> >tag will be rendered in the default mapnik anytime soon / ever? Or is there
> >somewhere that already exists that >renders designations?
>
> Yes - www.free-map.org.uk. (at least for southern and northern England and
> Wales)

sad to say it doesn't appear to cover the chilterns - I think it might have
done a while ago, but not now :'(

On 24 Jan 2013, at 15:01, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:

> Since the public rights of way tagging using designation=* is a very
> British (actually English and Welsh) thing, I doubt it will ever be
> rendered on the main OSM map. :-(

I'm sure you're probably correct, but are we sure designation doesn't apply
outside of the UK? I think it's worth pursuing - anyone know what the process
is to request it's added - it would add some much value to the UK map that I
really do think it's worth making the case to have it added.

> However, depending on what you're interested in, there's a nice view
> from ITO that highlights ways tagged with the main PRoW designation
> tags:
> http://www.itoworld.com/map/87#fullscreen

That's awesome, although depressingly it shows just how few I have actually
managed to tag with a designation :'(

Thanks all!

Adam