Hi Patrick,

For the collection_days tag, it might be possible to use the same tagging
syntax as the collection_times for post-boxes and recycling bins. It's on the
wiki here-
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:collection_times

You can add days or days with times.

---
https://hdyc.neis-one.org/?spiregrain
spiregrain_...@ksglp.org.uk

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020, at 10:10 AM, Patrick Lake wrote:
> [...]

>  * lcc:comments=”under city centre team management”
>

> What do you think?

> Cheers,

> Patrick

> *From: *Jez Nicholson <jez.nichol...@gmail.com>
> *Date: *Wednesday, 25 March 2020 at 14:04
> *To: *Patrick Lake <patrick.l...@odileeds.org>
> *Cc: *Jake Edmonds <jake_edmo...@me.com>, Talk-GB <Talk-GB@openstreetmap.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [Talk-GB] Adding Leeds Bins to OpenStreetMaps

> Hi Patrick,

> Shame LCC aren't 'dogfooding', ie using their own data, as it does encourage
> people to take it seriously. I guess that your regular diffs will spot
> discrepancies. I've had problems in the past with benches being removed (in
> real life and on OSM) then reappearing because it was just the council
> refurbing them.

> What do you propose tagging the LCC id as? Or would you like suggestions?

> - Jez

> On Wed, 25 Mar 2020, 11:00 Patrick Lake, <patrick.l...@odileeds.org> wrote:

>> Hi Jake,

>> No, LCC haven’t told us that they’ll use the data for those sort of
>> purposes. It wasn’t part of the specification, and to our knowledge they
>> won’t be reliant on it – obviously with it being open data they’re free to
>> use it for whatever they would like, but we’ve made them aware that OSM can
>> be edited and things can be deleted by users.

>> We currently extract OSM data for different amenities West Yorkshire daily,
>> including bins, and  store it in a GitHub repo
>> <https://github.com/odileeds/west-yorkshire-mapping/blob/master/data/leeds/leeds-amenities-waste_basket.geojson>.
>>  We plan to make a repo specifically for bin data – we’ll extract OSM data
>> daily and compare it, updating the repo if necessary. This then means LCC,
>> and others, will be able to look at the commit history to see what edits
>> have been made across time, and revert them if necessary. We’re looking at
>> using the GitHub API to integrate the commit history into the tool we’re
>> building for LCC.

>> To differentiate between council and business’ bins, we’ll just use a tag –
>> we’ll confirm what this will be before uploading. Also, the existing data
>> we’re bulk importing has a LCC ID which will be included as a tag.

>> Cheers,

>> Patrick

>> *From: *Jake Edmonds <jake_edmo...@me.com>
>> *Date: *Tuesday, 24 March 2020 at 12:47
>> *To: *Patrick Lake <patrick.l...@odileeds.org>
>> *Subject: *Re: [Talk-GB] Adding Leeds Bins to OpenStreetMaps

>> Hi Patrick

>> Are LCC staff planning to use the final dataset for various tasks, such as
>> planning collection routes?

>> I’m sure you have good answers for my questions but I’m just interested in a
>> practical sense.

>> What happens if a bin is accidentally/maliciously removed from OSM/moved?

>> How are you planning to differentiate between LCC bins and bins provided by

>>> Hi,

>>> Thanks for the feedback, that’s what we were hoping to hear.

>>> Silent Spike, in answer to your questions – we’ve been told by the council
>>> that it is quite accurate, although with a dataset of 3000+ bins there is
>>> likely to be minor mistakes. Visually, the locations look sensible, which
>>> is reassuring.

>>> Here’s the method we planned to use:

>>>  * There is definitely some bins which are already on OSM, so to avoid
>>> adding duplicates I took the locations of existing bins on OSM and the
>>> dataset from Leeds council, and created a distance matrix. My thought was,
>>> I would separate any bins in the LCC dataset which are less than 15 metres
>>> away from the nearest bin already on OSM, as they’re potential duplicates.
>>> I could then inspect these manually in JOSM and decide which ones to add
>>> (if any)
>>>  * For the rest of the bins, we’ll convert the GeoJson to OSM format using
>>> one of the tools listed here
>>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Converting_map_data_between_formats>
>>> (probably osm-and-geojson <https://github.com/aaronlidman/osm-and-geojson>
>>> as I’ve tested this). My colleague Stuart has a good knowledge of OSM so
>>> he’s identified which tags we’ll use – I will post a list of these to get
>>> feedback before we upload anything.
>>>  * I will use the bulk_upload.py tool
>>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bulk_upload.py> to upload the osm
>>> file. This seemed like a good choice but please let me know if there’s a
>>> better one.
>>>

>>> The whole process will be tested with the dev server first, just to be safe.

>>> Tony, thanks for the advice – I’ll have a look at the West Midlands stuff
>>> yes. The verification tag & date seems like a really good idea too – we
>>> hadn’t thought of that.

>>> Cheers,

>>> Patrick

>>> *From: *Tony OSM <tonyo...@gmail.com>
>>> *Date: *Tuesday, 24 March 2020 at 12:18
>>> *To: *"talk-gb@openstreetmap.org" <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
>>> *Subject: *Re: [Talk-GB] Adding Leeds Bins to OpenStreetMaps

>>> Agree with Silent Spike.

>>> This has a lot of similarities with NaPTAN bus stop imports - conflating
>>> and verification/validation are the difficulties there - looking at the
>>> West Midlands notes may help.

>>> For Leeds with a workforce regularly checking/cleaning bins then perhaps
>>> the tool you are planning to build could add a verification tag & date for
>>> completion on the first visit after an upload.

>>> TonyS999