Hi Ben,

Have been lurking in the background of GB-Talk for a little while and just
learning the ropes with OSM at the moment. But I have done a bit of reading
around the GB-Talk archives on this subject because it's really hard to
know what to do with English / Welsh names in some cases.

I come from a background of land management in North Wales where place
names are becoming an increasingly hot topic. I'm sure you're already aware
of this but for those who are new to the subject this video has been doing
the rounds on social media for the past couple of years and broadly
outlines people's concerns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLQ6XlG0MQ4.

The ability to include an :en or :cy tag name field is really helpful for
this but it's unfortunate that ultimately we have to choose a single name
tag for each place name - giving the impression that one language has
precedence over another. The crux of the topic for me is that maps are
never just standalone representations of the physical / political world,
they can also influence the world that they represent - they can project
influence or take it away. It's perhaps a bit of a naive viewpoint to think
that we're just recording what's there without recognising the power that
maps have to set in place and increase usage of some place names while
eliminating or significantly reducing the use of others.

With that in mind, and admittedly polemicising the debate a little. If we
accept the premise that the native language of Wales is Welsh and that OSM
is a community mapping project where we have an opportunity to respect
native communities in a way that past colonial mapmakers didn't. Could we
take this as an opportunity to prioritise authentic Welsh place names where
that's possible? I understand that there will be objections to this, but
I'm not sure we can disregard it completely as an option?

One other way to settle this would be to seek guidance from an external
body. Does the Welsh Government have a position on place names that we can
refer to? I notice that the Welsh Language Commissioner provides a
recommended list of standardised place names for Wales which is licensed
under OGL 3.0:

http://www.comisiynyddygymraeg.cymru/english/commissioner/placenames/Pages/Search.aspx

All of the above is written with the big caveat that I'm new to OSM and not
a Welsh language or place name expert in any way, I wouldn't go against the
group decision on this and have been quite conservative with my edits so
far because I know it's a huge topic to get into. Overall I think you
should be congratulated for broaching the subject and trying to pin down a
policy on it as it really does stir up a lot of strong sentiment in this
part of the world!

All the best,

Gruff