Interesting discussion. Currently it seems the name tag by default may
not be English in some places (in India) and the name:en tag may not
exist.

eg: http://home.braddock.com:28112/osm/slippymap.html

The ordering of labels was
COALESCE(tags->'name:en', tags->'name:hi', tags->'int_name', name)

So, in some cases name:en doesn't seem to exist (or maybe I'm wrong?)

--
Anish