It’s not clear if we’re getting into a consensus, so I'll be mentioning two
major reasons why the road classification scheme needs major reform:

* Manila-centrism. Existing scheme documented in the wiki works fine in
Metro Manila and surrounding areas, but not most of the country. Definition
of primary is particularly of note; it's fine for major links between Metro
Manila's cities, but not for most roads in the rest of the country. Having
every road to even town tagged as primary is overkill and there are also
connectivity issues arising from this (that’s where importance, tied to the
sizes of major destinations, comes into play)
* Clearer definition of trunk. Trunk is long used for all major roads links
between the largest cities, but a lack of a clear definition and reasonable
cut-off points creates room for misuse. Being a national primary road (or
1- to 2-digit route) is just one factor for trunk, noting official
designations don't match well with OSM’s; being a link between major
population centers (i.e. large cities, NEDA-designated metropolitan areas)
and with minimal shortcuts or alignment jogs (save perhaps turns to connect
with more recently built bypasses) is a more important factor.