De: "Mauro Santos" <registo.maill...@gmail.com>
À: talk-pt@openstreetmap.org
Envoyé: Samedi 26 Octobre 2013 00:28:25
Objet: Re: [Talk-pt] Portuguese flyer? (needs YOUR review!)

On 25-10-2013 22:57, Matthias Meisser wrote:
> Am 25.10.2013 19:35, schrieb Mauro Santos:
>> The translation looks good.
>
>> I've spotted a couple typos s/eligações/e ligações/ and s/azona/a
>> zona/.
>
> Obrigado!
>

>> The other thing I've noticed, and I don't know very well how to
>> explain it in english, is that the verbs have been conjugated in a
>> way that it seems the writer knows the reader personally (and are
>> friends).
>
>> What I mean is, "Podes encontrar o web..." is similar to "Tu podes
>> encontrar o web...", using "Tu" is not polite if you don't know
>> the other person. Personally I prefer to see "Pode encontrar o
>> web...".
>
>> I suppose that teenagers don't care about how it's written but
>> someone the age of their parents (or older) might not like it, I'd
>> say that the flyer should try not to give a bad first impression.
>
> I guess this was mixed as english just knows 'you' (you boy vs. you
> sir), so I think Miguel just choose what sounds reasonable to him.
> A more serious tone would b appreciated IMHO and is used in DE
> edition, too.
>

>> Finally, where it says open-source software, does it mean open
>> source or free software[1]?
>
>> [1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html#open-source
>
> Wow, I guess this is getting political ;) I made just the translation
> an DE also used "open source" that is IMHO more a buzzword to
> non-geeks than "free software". As the topic of the flyer is free
> mapping, we IMHO should avoid to get to close into details, but maybe
> you prefer using a different term for FLOSS?

My idea was not to make it a political discussion but I agree that it
might have come across looking like that. My idea was to be
accurate/correct because ... we should/can be :p

I do have to agree that for the general audience "open source" will be
easier to recognize and identify with than "free software".

Mauro Santos