On 31 July 2010 10:06, Heiko Jacobs <heiko.jac...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Michał Borsuk schrieb:
>
>  Without getting too much into the linguistic issues, I'd support the
>> Swedish "railway=historic_path" for anything further than "stillgelegt"
>> (English "abandoned"?), that is either with track, or without, but not yet
>> turned into a bike path (or anything similar).
>>
>> But let's wait for others to comment.
>>

> It seems, that no one else will comment here?
>
> I'm still not satisfied to use something with "time" in it like
> "historic" as part of a list with timeless words describing states.
> levelled or disappeared might be better suitable to this list:
> - proposed/planned
> - construction
> - ()
> - disused
> - abandonded(/dismantled)
> - levelled/disappeared

I agree with your arguments. Then "former"?

"Disappeared" cannot be used, because it implies that the railway just
rolled itself and went home for Feierabend.  Or a UFO took it one night.

I don't like "levelled" for another reason: it is a word that is not easily
understood for those "English-challenged", that is beginners. It's not a
word that easily translates into other languages. For this I would propose
"removed". (Then it does not contrast with "dismantled" very much, but
frankly I am getting lost in those distinctions).

- proposed/planned
- construction
- ()
- disused
- abandonded
- removed/dismantled/former (if there really is a difference)
- [*=bike path]

--
Best regards, mit freundlichen Grüssen, meilleurs sentiments, Pozdrowienia,

Michał Borsuk