Cartinus schrieb:
I'm interested in railways too, so I find that interesting. Railways are relative sparse, so it won't clutter the map much.

... and with the suitable tag it won't clutter the rendered slippy map

I don't like gaps. ;-)
A former railway between Ittersbach and Pforzheim I could map
90% because there are enough traces (gravel, embankments, cuttings,
bridges, ...) but 10% are levveled for farmland or residential
ares including buildings. But the way can be reconstrcuted (straight
on or with known curvature) There for I need tags. Also for other
ways, where parts of it have coordinates because of streets
parallel to the old rail or directly on the old railway, other
parts still have real traces and other parts were easily
reconstructable from old maps. So a combination of parts with
disused, abandoned and the new tag will produce the whole network
for later special maps.

Next comes the historic society of "blah city" and they want to map the medieval street pattern. Half a year later they have a project about Roman times and want to map the castellum that once stood where now the city centre is.

For such real ancient things:
If they don't dig, they don't have coordinates ;-)
And if they can dig nothing else is there and it's worth to map ;-)

Mueck