I knew this was going to be hard. Anyway, I made sure that it's definitely
allowed to tag bus stops as platform nodes. Every few months I look at the
wiki and each time it changes. At present it says that if a stop_position
node is present for a bus stop, it has to be added to the route relations.
I definitely don't agree with that and I won't do that. The route relations
I'm creating only contain 1 object per stop. Having said that, I won't be
removing stop_position nodes or platform ways from route relations, if they
are already present. Unless this proposal passes somehow, then I will help
with the conversion.

My proposal does not say that it's not allowed or possible to map platforms
as ways or areas.

It only says that for stability of the data, it would be better to map all
the detail tags on 1 node and only add that node to the route relations.

If a platform is present, it's perfectly possible to tag it with

highway=platform or railway=platform
and optionally
tactile_paving=yes
wheelchair=yes/limited/no