On 6/22/13 11:42 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
On 06/21/2013 08:07 PM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
The map should reflect ground reality, so unless there are hamlets in
these places, we should strive to fix them. By sharing our
experiences, we can have a better sense of how others are doing that,
and we can use that to inform our local decisions.

But let the locals make the decisions! Don't just go deleting
hamlets based on the fact that they are unincorporated. A great many
hamlets in New York State have a strong local identity. The locals
can tell you their precise borders. They are signed. The post offices
and railroad stations are named for them. If you ask a local what
town he lives in, he'll reply with the name of the hamlet.
the city of Lansingburgh merged with Troy, NY more than 100 years
ago but Lansingburgh still has a very strong local identity. the post
office still delivers to Lansingburgh, the school district is distinct from
the Troy district, and back when i lived there i told people Lansingburgh,
not Troy. and people who know the difference will still tell you rather
pointedly that Lansingburgh is distinct from North Troy.

so yes, we need to defer to local mappers on this one.

richard