On 6/21/13 11:07 AM, Sean Bartell wrote:

I realized only after last week's discussion about neighborhoods that
the hamlets (which are distinct from nehighborhoods) are the things
messing up the geocoder. A neighborhood is understood to be a place
that's not often in an address, but a hamlet is a village, and so a
hamlet in the middle of an urban place doesn't make sense.
So a hamlet within municipal boundaries is almost certainly wrong. Could
we try to detect which imported hamlets are within cities, and delete
them or change them to place=neighbourhood?

i think we need to pull things like CDPs and hamlets out of the
admin_boundary framework and confine it strictly to real government
administration (and i think things like fire districts should be excluded
from the admin_boundary framework as well).  i have heard the argument
that all of these things can be considered administrative, but this
become so broad and general that you end up with a useless mess.

i also think the US is a little peculiar in that our official addressing
derives solely from postal routes, which can differ significantly from
the admin boundary framework. this is one of the issues with virtually
all of the data consumers that try to handle this; european assumptions
are the norm and the US isn't europe. i see this in the address handling
for things like OsmAnd and mkgmap as well. i suspect we need some
algorithmic changes in these entities to reflect US reality; fiddling the
data is only a bandaid.

richard