OSM US:

I've been using some routing engines to map fitness routes (e.g. Strava)
that use OSM data. Along our US coasts, there are beaches. The beaches I'm
familiar with are popular with walkers and joggers to go up and down the
shore, since access is generally open to anyone along the water's edge. I'm
considering adding a `highway=path` along the beach to facilitate this. I'd
add the connections to the walking paths between parking lots and the beach
as well.

For uninterrupted strips of sandy beach, would a path be appropriate to
indicate walkability?

How the map looks now in iD: http://i.imgur.com/2EQ06BR.jpg
What I'd propose to do (note the connections):
http://i.imgur.com/i8dj6lQ.jpg
Area of the examples:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/38.45143/-75.04957

Thanks,