Isn't this all a little bit like mapping for the renderer?  (Mapping for
the router?) If paths don't exist, should they really be created?

If people feel that they should be created, maybe there is a need for a new
tag for 'highway connectors', kind of like the flow connectors used in the
NHD stream data.  They would exist in the database and show up in the
editors, but would not be drawn by style sheets used by people who only
want to render real roads/paths/etc.  Routers could be trained to use these
ways in combination with real tracks.

This seems more like a router issue, not a data issue. Routing across areas
may just require a router that can handle areas.  I remember an example of
this in an online app, but can't find the link anymore.

David.