I thought about this, but not all beaches are navigable.  Some really are
pretty treacherous, and I don’t think this is always easy to tell from aerial
imagery.  I have also been to perfectly navigable beaches where you are
specifically not allowed to use vehicles because turtles build their nests
there.

I think it is safer to assume that a beach should not be used for navigation
unless it’s explicitly tagged for it (and I think a path or track is the most
straightforward way of tagging this).