Hi Eric,

Great to see some love for coastal Maine, where I have no local knowledge
whatsoever.
Do you think there may be a MapRoulette challenge in there perhaps? Or a
tasking manager job so we can distribute work?
I'd be in favor of replacing county boundaries with something more recent
seeing how bad the quality is. Would require conflation and fixing
relations at the edges of the work area, I guess, but may be worth it.

Martijn

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Eric Kidd <emk.li...@randomhacks.net>
wrote:

> Recently, I wanted to fix a few local islands and public parks in coastal
> Maine, where I have local knowledge. But much to my dismay, the local area
> was pretty thoroughly broken:
>
>    - The county lines along the coast are based on a really old (and
>    incorrect) data set.
>    - There's some confusion between towns (admin_level=8) and sub-town
>    boundaries (admin_level=?).
>    - Most towns are marked with nothing more than GNIS points.
>
> As a result, the local maps are incorrect, ugly (thanks to the bad county
> lines everywhere) and incompatible with Nominatim.
>
> I've prepared a more detailed explanation of what's wrong, with pictures,
> examples, and a couple of possible ways to improve things:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ekidd/Coastal_Maine_problems
>
> Personally, I'd be interested in tackling 4 small towns and maybe the
> Lincoln county boundary. But it looks like a large portion of the Maine
> coast suffers from similar problems. If anybody feels qualified to address
> the larger problems, I'd be grateful—and happy to help out.
>
> Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!
>
> -Eric

Martijn van Exel
skype: mvexel