Thank you, everybody, for your advice. Special thanks to Peter for his
experience with similar issues in New Hampshire.

Earlier today, I added 4 towns on the Boothbay peninsula, which was a nice,
low-risk change.

Just a moment ago, I updated the southern half of Lincoln county with the
TIGER 2014 county data, splicing it into Sagadahoc and Knox counties on
either side. This is a pretty big change, and I was as careful as I could
be, but I'd appreciate another set of eyes.

Wiki: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ekidd/Coastal_Maine_problems
County:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/26104709#map=8/44.090/-68.730

Everything was done with boundary lines and relations, and I cleared up all
JOSM validation errors on the parts I touched.

Overall, this sort of cleanup seems like it would help coastal Maine a lot.
The maps are a lot nicer looking, and Nominatim is working now. That only
needs 7 counties that are in need of love. :-) (And one which is in need of
review.)

-Eric