I've tried OsmAnd, OSMTracker and KeypadMapper 3.

The latter two do not show a map.
The first one does.

Still prefer a dedicated GPS-device, in my case a Garmin 10 + photo camera.
Reasons:

* I can take more pictures and faster with the camera. All the smartphone
apps requires to many clicks and my phone is not fast enough
* Both the GPS-device and camera are around my neck. Need because I walk
3-4 dogs while surveying. But I'm planning to buy a smartphone case +
lanyard to "simulate" this.
* I can operate the GPS device and camera with 1 hand. I have problems to
do that with the smartphone.
* my way of creating waypoints on the GPS device is still faster than
KeypadMapper 3 in most cases (for house numbers)

Drawback
* need to take "sync" picture at the start. create waypoint + photo
* need cable to transfer GPX-track
* need software to fix the time difference between pictures and GPS track.

Still those drawbacks outweighs the convenience of the dedicated devices
for surveying.

just my .5 cents

regards