Steve,

For most of my data collection, I find that the built in photos app is
actually all I use.  Each photo is geotagged, which comes in handy if I
forget exactly where I was when I took the photo.  I end up picking up
details when looking at the pictures later that I didn't originally see
(phone number in a shop window, fire hydrant in front of a shop, etc).

If I just want to capture a GPX file, then I use GPXTrack (costs $1.99):

http://bafford.com/software/gpstrack/

Once you've finished your track, then you can email the .gpx file to
yourself.

Another option for collecting GPS tracks is to use RunKeeper (free for
basic mode):

http://runkeeper.com/

This is a program designed to keep track of your workouts and you can
specify what mode of travel you are using before you start (run, walk,
bike, etc).  I believe the program requires you to sign up for a RunKeeper
user account.  Once you are done with your run, you can view your run on
the RunKeeper website and even download a .gpx file yourself.  I believe
they also put everyone's tracks together in aggregate to find holes in OSM
data.

Note: when running GPXTrack or RunKeeper and switching to other apps
(Photos, email, OSM website in web browser, etc), the phone OS can actually
suspend your GPX collecting app and it won't resume data collection until
you switch back to the app.  I've noticed this phenomenon much less when
moving from the iPhone 4S to iPhone 6 Plus.

I've also recently started using Mapillary (free):

http://www.mapillary.com/

Mapillary requires a user account as well.  You take a bunch of photos and
upload them to Mapillary's website for anyone to see.  It also connects the
dots and shows you the path you took from one photo to the next.  You can
either take individual shots or set it to auto mode and just point the
camera in front of you as you are walking around.  They do some
post-processing on images to attempt to blur things like license plates.
When you view the photos on the website, you can ask for portions to be
blurred or unblurred.  There's a JOSM plug-in for Mapillary photos and also
they have their own version of the iD editor that lets you see Mapillary
photos.

Maps.me is a very interesting app that I use a lot.  I love that I can
download my map data for my state and a few surrounding states to have a
wealth of map data directly on my phone.  It's a little bit frustrating for
OSM data contributors because the Maps.me data is 1 or 2 months old.  It's
great if you go to Canada and need a map on your phone and don't want to
pay exorbitant rates for mobile data.

Peter