On 2/8/21 4:01 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
Anything that can get more complicated will get more complicated.  Boot
loaders seem to be an example.

It used to be straightforward to read /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg.
Now, building the list of kernels for the menu is farmed out to blscfg (a
grub module).

I needed to have a Fedora box default to booting a kernel that isn't the
latest (because the latest cannot bring up the display on my computer).

1. I needed to make updates not delete the working kernel.  Normally
updates keep only the last three kernels.  As of today, two are duds.
Fix: change /etc/dnf/dnf.conf's installonly_limit from 3 to 0

2. Find the list of kernels known to grub:
        sudo ls /boot/loader/entries/*.conf

3. set the default to one of those.  Use the filename, without the
directory and without the .conf
          sudo grub2-set-default
2733f1c892a5422c98bdb188c4f62737-5.10.9-201.fc33.x86_64

I don't know how long this sticks.

Normally I don't play around with grub but from memory default settings
are either a) written forever or b) until a new kernel or grub is
installed. I would doubt it's the second as that's rare i.e. I've
also never seen it but if your talking kernel packages it may occur
from memory. Sometimes package managers will overwrite the default
kernel if it's a newer version then any installed.

Maybe this helps a little,
Nick