| From: Giles Orr via talk <talk@gtalug.org>
|
| - I think raw GRUB still works from a single .conf file that can be
| edited by hand.  The problem you're seeing is that most distros have
| built out a complex system to construct and replace that .conf file
| whenever a new kernel arrives.  The assumption is of course that mere
| mortals shouldn't be touching that config.  I learned a lot about
| GRUB2 configuration at one time, but I don't mess with Fedora's GRUB
| config system.

Yes.  Fedora follows a proposed standard.  I discovered this in
boilerplate comments in Fedora's grub.cfg, albeit with an obsolete URL
(I submitted a bugzilla about this).
  <https://systemd.io/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION/>

| - Nicholas mentioned the in-place replacement of kernels: I think(?)

I don't think so.  But maybe.

| I've seen that behaviour on Debian with same-version kernels with
| security updates, but I don't think I've ever seen it for any reason
| on Fedora.

Are you talking about on-the-fly kernel updates?  kexec?
kGraft/kpatch/ksplice?
  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kexec>

They've always seemed scary.

| - if you have a separate /boot/ partition (very likely these days) and
| you're never deleting kernels, you stand a good chance of over-filling
| that partition and getting into trouble, particularly on Fedora which
| likes to push a new kernel every couple weeks.  You'll want to keep an
| eye on the space remaining in /boot/ and delete some of the newer
| kernels you don't need by hand.

Good point.

I see no point in a separate /boot so I never configure one.  Is there a
point?  Does /boot have enough to fsck / before mounting it?

/boot/efi is the ESP (EFI System Partition), a dedicated FAT partition
that is required by UEFI.  Generally kernels are not placed there.  So
it doesn't grow that much.

If you did put the kernel+intramdisk in the ESP, you could probably
boot Linux via UEFI without the aid of GRUB.  I don't know of distros
that do this.  It's kind of tempting to cut out a whole layer of
complexity.  (You may have discussed this on your blog -- I don't
remember.)