| From: steve--- via talk <talk@gtalug.org>

| Subject: Re: [GTALUG] HP Z420 + rx5600 + MSI MAG272CQR ?

Does HP support linux on its workstations?  That would be nice.

For some reason AMD video support has seemed slow to settle.  Is the
rx5600 support solid?

I've never needed that much video horsepower.  But plenty of people
do.

| >          Just looking at some stuff.. looking to replace my DELL Vostro
| > 220S 4G machine with
| > something.

I take it that it has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.  Yeah, it's
probably worth upgrading.  On the other hand, if you've lived with
that, an middle-of-the-road current machine should be fine.

The z420 is probably expensive overkill.  Is it old?  I saw a review
from 2013.  Are you buying used?

If you don't want to fuss, I kind of like the Lenovo ThinkCentre M75q
Tiny computer (but I am having a problem with the WiFi 6 driver):
<https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-lenovo-thinkcentre-m75q-tiny-gen-2-amd-ryzen-7-pro-4750ge-win10-4gb-500gb-hdd-570-2438949/>
Or if you wish to choose things (like DVD burner)
<https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-lenovo-thinkcentre-m75q-tiny-gen-2-amd-ryzen-7-pro-4750ge-win10-4gb-500gb-hdd-570-2438949/>
This second thread mentions a deal for the m75q, a Small Form Factor
variant that allows more expansion.

The m75q has all mod cons.  Since you're old too, you probably
remember that term.  For others: all modern conveniences.  WiFi6, some
magic USB-c stuff, HDMI (dongle, supplied) USB-3.x, 1G ethernet,
support for gobs of RAM.  NVMe.  I think that it has a 2.5" bay but
I'm too lazy to check.

Note that HP z series and Lenovo ThinkCentre are not cheap consumer
junk.  (I don't mind cheap consumer junk.)

Monitors are very personal.  For me, a decent but inexpensive 40"
UltraHD TV beats a 27" monitor every time.  Gamers would disagree
because the refresh rates can be better on monitors.

| >         Cant go to Movies anyMore.
| >
| >         GoTa bring the Movie to Me.

You will want quiet, then.  Not guaranteed with a workstation.

You also need to take a little care with the video, depending on your
monitor (the rx5600 would be fine).

For our household, a separate, non-computer solution is better for
watching movies.  Example device: a $65 Google ChromeCast with Google
TV.  We do have a dedicated tiny PC connected to our TV for viewing
the few things that our Android TV device does not support.

|            Ooops forgot Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver.
|
|             This is my last upgrade ever, and the perfect place to stop.

18.04 is already 2 years stale.  Surely 20.04 LTS would be a wiser
choice.  And more likely to support the rx5600 (just a guess).

And don't say never.  Not a good way to think about computers.  They
are kind of disposable (not quite as badly as mobile phones).

Planning for the distant future is hard.  Perfection is the enemy of
getting things done.  I know.