On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 00:06, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk@gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: steve--- via talk <talk@gtalug.org>
>
> | Subject: Re: [GTALUG] HP Z420 + rx5600 + MSI MAG272CQR ?
>
> Does HP support linux on its workstations?  That would be nice.
>
> For some reason AMD video support has seemed slow to settle.  Is the
> rx5600 support solid?
>
> I've never needed that much video horsepower.  But plenty of people
> do.
>
> | >          Just looking at some stuff.. looking to replace my DELL Vostro
> | > 220S 4G machine with
> | > something.
>
> I take it that it has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.  Yeah, it's
> probably worth upgrading.  On the other hand, if you've lived with
> that, an middle-of-the-road current machine should be fine.
>
> The z420 is probably expensive overkill.  Is it old?  I saw a review
> from 2013.  Are you buying used?
>
> If you don't want to fuss, I kind of like the Lenovo ThinkCentre M75q
> Tiny computer (but I am having a problem with the WiFi 6 driver):
> <https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-lenovo-thinkcentre-m75q-tiny-gen-2-amd-ryzen-7-pro-4750ge-win10-4gb-500gb-hdd-570-2438949/>
> Or if you wish to choose things (like DVD burner)
> <https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-lenovo-thinkcentre-m75q-tiny-gen-2-amd-ryzen-7-pro-4750ge-win10-4gb-500gb-hdd-570-2438949/>
> This second thread mentions a deal for the m75q, a Small Form Factor
> variant that allows more expansion.
>
> The m75q has all mod cons.  Since you're old too, you probably
> remember that term.  For others: all modern conveniences.  WiFi6, some
> magic USB-c stuff, HDMI (dongle, supplied) USB-3.x, 1G ethernet,
> support for gobs of RAM.  NVMe.  I think that it has a 2.5" bay but
> I'm too lazy to check.
>
> Note that HP z series and Lenovo ThinkCentre are not cheap consumer
> junk.  (I don't mind cheap consumer junk.)
>

> Monitors are very personal.  For me, a decent but inexpensive 40"
> UltraHD TV beats a 27" monitor every time.  Gamers would disagree
> because the refresh rates can be better on monitors.
>
> | >         Cant go to Movies anyMore.
> | >
> | >         GoTa bring the Movie to Me.
>
> You will want quiet, then.  Not guaranteed with a workstation.
>
> You also need to take a little care with the video, depending on your
> monitor (the rx5600 would be fine).
>
> For our household, a separate, non-computer solution is better for
> watching movies.  Example device: a $65 Google ChromeCast with Google
> TV.  We do have a dedicated tiny PC connected to our TV for viewing
> the few things that our Android TV device does not support.
>
> |            Ooops forgot Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver.
> |
> |             This is my last upgrade ever, and the perfect place to stop.
>
> 18.04 is already 2 years stale.  Surely 20.04 LTS would be a wiser
> choice.  And more likely to support the rx5600 (just a guess).
>
> And don't say never.  Not a good way to think about computers.  They
> are kind of disposable (not quite as badly as mobile phones).
>
> Planning for the distant future is hard.  Perfection is the enemy of
> [...]

Going to add a few "me too" votes to a couple things Hugh said.

Are you a gamer?  Because if you're not, the card and the monitor
sound like overkill - expensive and not necessary for your declared
use case (movies).  Keep in mind that retro-gaming doesn't count as
"gaming" in this context: retro-games don't require a high-end video
card.  I haven't purchased a specialty video card in 15 years, and I
watch movies frequently on my built-in video cards - works fine up to
1080p, although I admit I see tearing and problems at 4K.  The
built-ins are also usually a lot easier to get running in Linux for a
lower cost.

However, like Hugh, I do most of my video watching either on a first
gen Apple TV (I got it free ...) that acts as a Netflix box, or on an
Asus O!Play Mini, both of which are hooked to my TV.

I'd also like to back Hugh's recommendation of a larger and cheaper
(or perhaps equally priced) 40" monitor over the 27", unless your
eyesight is a lot better than mine.  I'm finding larger monitors to be
a huge blessing as I get older, and the properties a gamer monitor
might provide aren't usually of any use to me.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/