On 2022-11-21 16:13, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
Hi, Bell notified me that they will soon be shutting down my copper telephone service, no options.  My DSL to TekSavvy will go with it. Joy.

I run my own NAT/mail/vpn server firewall and I want to keep it. Apparently, others have been able connect to Bell by turning on PPPoE pass through on the Bell (HH4000) modem.

Has anyone on the list gone this route? Is Bell still dreadful, even on fibre? Am I crazy to look at Rogers?

PS: I pay ~$40/Mo for landline, which looks to increase to $52 after the change! Robbers!

If they drop the copper then you will need some kind of VOIP adapter which is not such a big deal but if you lose power then your VOIP adapter will not work unless it has some kind of battery backup. One thing that was a feature of copper lines was that it provided power to run the phone from the central office or remote so that in the case of an emergency you would still have service.

A number of years ago I started moving my phone services to a VOIP provider and now even my home phone is a VOIP service.
If I am spending over $10/month for 3 phone lines I would be surprised.

It has been fairly reliable for years but at one point my VOIP provider was mostly offline for about a week because of a DOS attack. On the other hand I lost my land line phone from Bell for 2 weeks because of some idiot with a back hoe.

My next step is to port my mobile number.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
al...@netvel.net              ||