On 2022-11-25 17:20, James Knott via talk wrote:
On 2022-11-25 17:10, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
I am not anti-progress. But if it was real progress, reliability would exceed that of POTS, the cost would be cheaper and I could rely on the service working even in an emergency.

The bare fibre is more reliable than copper, as it doesn't need all the extra equipment to carry today's digital signals.  Fibre can carry data much further than copper ever dreamed of.  Years ago, a company might get a DS1 (T1) line, which ran at a blazing 1.544 Mb/s!  It also required repeaters about every 6000', IIRC. The coax based cable network likewise has distance limits that require amplification.  Depending on the bandwidth and fibre, distances with it can be thousands of Km.

Bare fibre is more delicate than copper.
We spend a day and a half down because someone put too sharp a bend in a fibre cable.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
al...@netvel.net              ||