On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 at 14:19, mwilson--- via talk <talk@gtalug.org> wrote:

> I just installed Debian 12 on a new laptop and took Gnome as
> desktop/window manager.
>
> I really insist on something more Xerox PARC style.
>
> I had been using Xfce, and liked it until (following Debian 10 software
> updates) it began to act strangely.  A few months ago it started to kick
> up a huge fuss about difficulties starting the Panel after a restart.
> About 2 weeks back, following an upgrade, the Desktop area stopped
> displaying anything -- no wallpaper, no icons from the Desktop folder --
> just gray.  That prompted this move to Debian 12.
>
> I might go back to Xfce, and assume my troubles just resulted from being 2
> major releases back, but before that, what do other people use and like?

I personally use Openbox.  I loathe GNOME.  On the rare occasion I
want to install a "desktop" rather than just a Window Manager, I
usually use LXDE which is the lightest weight of the lot.  Its
relative simplicity might work for you.

If you're interested in window managers (not "desktop environments,"
per se) I maintain as complete a list as I can manage here:

https://gilesorr.com/wm/table.html

Apologies for the self-promotion, but it's something I'm interested
in.  The page isn't well suited to discovery-by-features though, it's
more just a list.

One odd possibility no one has mentioned is the Trinity Desktop (
http://trinitydesktop.org/ ), which is the continuation of KDE3.  I
haven't used it, but it's still maintained and it might be of interest
in this conversation?

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/