Historically, I use whatever the distro puts in front of me.
I use GNOME desktop environment in Fedora.

I hate investing in customization because in the long term, it all gets
washed away.  After using DE's for 35 years, I've been subject to a lot of
change -- I don't need to seek more.

I still use the same text editor as I did 35 years ago.

From the UI side, I find GNOME is pretty reasonable.  Simple (on the
surface), integrated, maintained, mostly operable without the mouse.

GNOME's performance is fine on machines that aren't too too obsolete (I'm
typing this on a decade-old system).  It's pretty clunky on a system with
a hard drive, but SSDs are so checp that using a hard drive for an OS is
dumb anyway.

Other desktops might suit me better -- I haven't tried them, much less
tried to live with them for enough time to grow comfortable (the real
test).