Howard Gibson via talk wrote on 2023-11-22 21:06:

Handy tip folks -- Start your emails with a line feed at the top of the page. This will separate your content from the blurb corporate email servers will attach warning your recipients how evil and dangerous you are.

This is an interesting idea. I've seen mbox files get corrupted (all mailbox messages in one file, and a line like "From: " is the message delimiter. Terrible!)

So, blank line might help with that.

I've recently switched to using Maildir format (server *and* Thunderbird). One message per file.

Thunderbird says it's not fully supported, but it works fine. The unsupported features are in how Maildir *renames* a file (often also with moving it via hard linking) to reflect changes in status (Read, etc.)

The Read, replied-to, etc. are stored elsewhere in Thunderbird.

I am considering taking out a URL for my website. If I contract with a service that provide email, I should be able to download that through popmail, right?

Unsure what's meant by "taking out a URL" -- registering a domain?

Anyway, POP should be provided by all email services (except Google apparently), it's literally a single line or 3 of configuration file entries and is probably enabled by default. So, those that don't offer it have to remove the feature (as I understand it).

Also, it saves on disk space if the user immediately downloads and deletes the messages, and that's a significant resource - disk space.

At least, it is in my situation.