> I guess you are not aware of the "reply all" button in
> thunderbird which does send to the mailing list, so it's only
> logical that "reply" does not send to the ML.
>
> Yes, "reply all" does send a copy directly to the author, but
> mailman is intelligent enough so you can tell it not to send
> dupes to people addressed directly (unless addressed by BCC,
> in which case there is no way to tell there was a dupe in the
> first place)

So for all us Outlook users, if we hit Reply-All (like I just did to reply
to this), and my client inserts both Dirk's and Lance's addres into the To:
dialog but includes talk@openstreetmap.org in the CC field... It's not a
problem with the way the list is configured?

It seems a little 'unnatural' to me, I've been used to sending mails to a
mailing list by addressing it directly and relying on the list to send that
out to other users. This would seem to me to be the most appropriate method,
regardless of whether it's the 'correct way' - my reasoning for this is
because some users will not wish to receive instant updates, rather
receiving their messages in a digest format.

As such, sending all replies directly to the listserver allows for the
server to deal that mail out to fellow subscribers in the manner in which
they have chosen, rather than me making the choice for them and resulting in
them getting an instant response _and_ the digest email whenever they
normally receive it. I know the majority of users will likely get instant
updates anyway, but there must be some subscribers to lists who take part in
conversations yet do not wish to receive instant updates?

Just a thought.